Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bible Studying tips!

This year my new years resolution was to try and do Bible Study every night! I must say I have been doing a pretty good job even though I haven't done it every night I get it done at least 3-4 times a week. I know that is what a lot of people struggle with and I know the feeling. There aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done that you would love to get done but since I have been making time to do Bible Study I have a couple of tips that I think would help.
1. Before you start reading the Bible you should always pray. Pray that the Lord opens your heart and that He helps you understand what is going on. The best kind of Bible study is when you know He is right there with you.

2. Always do bible study somewhere that is quiet. I know it is hard to find somewhere quiet because I have a big family and when everyone was home it is very hard but if you can find somewhere that is somewhat quiet it can help.

3. Get a "Study Bible". They have many different Bibles but for doing Bible Study these kinds of Bibles are probably best. They have nice side notes to help you really understand what is going on and in the back sometimes they have keywords and different little tools that you can use to help you to get closer to God. They have different Study Bibles for different ages and genders. Which is part of the reason why I love my Bible. I have a Bible that is specifically for teenage girls and it really pays attention to the problems that teenage girls have.

4. Grab a notebook! It is always nice to take notes when you see a verse that you love. That way you can always look back at your notes to see what you wrote or what was important to you. Nothing is better then memorizing Bible verses. I always try to memorize the ones that I love because when ever I am in trouble or I need some guidence I have a verse to back up that problem.

5. Having a highlighter or a pen with you is very helpful! I don't know about you but when I take notes I have to highlight it first so that I do not get confused on what exactly I am writing down. It is also another way to look back at was verses really caught your eye.

6. When you are done reading and taking notes you should also pray. Pray that He can help you be more like Jesus and do the right thing. Ask Him to help you with life, thank him for all of the things he has given you and you can also do any prayer requests.

7. Try to make it a daily thing. Write it down in your planner make sure that you do not make school and homework an idol. Even though school is important if you compare the two God comes first. God always comes first. Nothing before Him.

My Bible- True images NIV
My favorite book of the Bible- Esther
My Favorite verse- "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will show you the desires of your heart." - Psalm 37:4

1 comment:

  1. OMG ESTHER IS MY FAVORITE BOOK IN THE BIBLE TOO!
    thanks for the tips <333

    ReplyDelete